Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Strengths, Weaknesses and Prep

11 days left til I board a Southwest flight (free checked bags - Golf Clubs baby!) to Las Vegas.  I'll self evaluate my game a bit here and try to be as objective as possible.  Then I'll layout what I've done so far to prep and how I plan to practice these last remaining days before leaving.

Strengths

  1. Driver: my TaylorMade Rocketballz Tour driver has increased my distance off the tee and my accuracy.  Averaging right at 250 off the tee which is a big help.  I've had a couple of loose rounds with the driver in the past couple of weeks but I tuned the driver before yesterdays round and had better results.  Still consider this a strength.
  2. Fairways & Hybrids:  All TaylorMade in this category - '98 Burner 3W, '97 Burner 5W, Rocketballz 19degree Hybrid, '97 Burner 22degree Hybrid.  Probably the strongest clubs in my bag.  I have a sweeping swing and really strike my fairway metals well.  I'm not a long hitter but get me about 215yds to 175yds out and I know that I can be around the green if not on it using one of these clubs.
  3. Putts 5 feet & less: I'm putting the ball really well from 5 feet in right now. I'm no Luke Donald but I feel real good from this distance.  Unfortunately putts longer than this will end up on the Weakness listing.
Weaknesses

  1. Irons: My weakest area by far.  I was hitting them so well last summer and fall that I could be aggressive and fire for pins.  I have little confidence in them now which goes back to my recent shank troubles.  That stupid s-word is in my mind for any iron shot that I take right now.  Very inconsistent with pulls, thins and slices and yes the occasional s-word.  My GIR percentage is very low right now forcing scrambles.
  2. Lag Putts:   A problem issue since I got a new putter last August but slowly starting to improve.  The face insert in this putter is much softer than my previous one and I haven't figured out how to get lag putts to the hole.  I frequently come up 5, 6, 8 and even 10feet short on any putt 25fee and longer.  Just can't seem to make myself hit the putt harder.
  3. Greenside Bunkers:  A place where many of my decent rounds go to die.  Sometimes takes me 2 or even 3 shots to get out OR I'll catch the ball clean and go sailing over green and all. 
Neutral

  1. Wedges: Very average in my wedge play.  I feel good with a full PW, GW and SW.  Chipping is just OK.  Have been working more with using 9i or 8i and playing a bump and run shot from thin lies (getting better and better with this shot).
  2. Putting 5ft to 20ft:   Average here.  Make a few and tend to have decent distance control from these measurements leaving 2 to 3 footers on misses.

I think I'll leave my review of my prep and practice plan for the next post.  Thanks for reading!


No comments:

Post a Comment