Thursday, May 17, 2012

Preparation + Perspiration = ?

Let's talk a little about what I've been doing to get ready for The Mesquite Amateur (http://www.mesquiteamateur.com/).  I committed to the event in mid-February and was determined that I do everything possible to get my game back to the shape that it had been in last summer and fall.  I had four main goals:

  1. Play as much competitive golf as possible
  2. Practice short game frequently
  3. Lose 15lbs or more
  4. Play a few rounds at courses I've never played before
Goal 1: Competitive Golf.
 I joined a regular weekend group at my home club that plays in a points game.  The group consists of about 15 guys of varying skill level but the points game keeps it level.  Points are awarded for Eagle (8), Birdie (4), Par (2) and Bogey (1).  Each golfer has a points quota to reach each week based on the average of their last 5 rounds.  The competition is lively and was a fun way for me to get those juices flowing each week. 

The second competitive outlet was through my golf league.  The course I'm a member at is part of a larger group of clubs under one ownership.  Canongate owns 23 courses in the Atlanta area and I get playing privileges at all of them.  The Canongate Golf League is played between members of all 23 area clubs.  There are 7 flights in the Men's category, and each flight has about 30 players.  The flights are then further broken down into brackets of 5 to 6 players.  The season starts April 1st and runs through end of August with each participant playing 7 matches in match play format.  Play continues through 18 holes however and points are awarded for holes won and tied.  I've gotten in 3 matches in the season already (played 1 early) and have a 1-1-1 record, with 20 holes won, 17 lost and 17 tied.  This is another great way to play with the heart pumping a bit!

Goal 2: Short Game Practice
I have not done well at this one at all.  I travel with work a good bit so I have taken my putter on the road a few times and gotten a little practice in by putting in my hotel room at night.  It's just not the same as getting in time on the practice green though.  I'm not a range rat at all!  I actually tend to avoid the driving range as I don't keep a good routine there and get faster and faster to the detriment of my swing.  I don't mind the short game area as much but I'd just as soon be out on the course.  I did get in one extended bunker practice session, hitting about 50 balls from the sand.  I could use some more of that before I go to Nevada!  I'm going to try to get in 2 long short game sessions before I leave next week though.

Goal 3: Weight Loss
By late February I was tipping the scale at the heaviest I've ever weighed.  I really wanted to try to drop some pounds so that I'd be in better shape to handle 4+ rounds of golf in desert heat.  I started watching what I eat (still have bad days though), and tried to walk as often as possible when playing for the exercise.  Since March 1st, I'm down 12.5 lbs, and yes the half pound matters! 

Goal 4: 1st time rounds
I find that I play most of my golf at one of the two eighteens we have here at my home course of Mirror Lake. (You can see scorecards and a course tour here http://www.canongategolf.com/Mirror-Lake/Mirror-Lake-Golf-Club-831.html if interested.)
I'll be playing the courses in the Mesquite Amateur site unseen so I wanted to get the feel for how I'd do on some courses when playing the first time.  The results were encouraging with only one "bad" round:
Bentwater Golf Club - 85
Suncity Peachtree - 88
Links at Stono Ferry - 96
Braelinn - 81


Lastly here is my prep schedule these last two weeks before I leave:
May 14th - Walked nine holes after work - shot 47
May 15th - Walked nine holes after work - shot 40
May 16th - Walked eighteen holes after work - shot 84
May 17th - Short game practice after work
May 18th - Walk nine or eighteen holes after work
May 19th - Work event most of day - no golf or practice
May 20th - May 23rd - Work trip to Orlando - no golf or practice
May 24th - Short game practice after work
May 25th - walk nine holes after work
May 26th - Short game practice

May 27th - Fly to Las Vegas - eighteen holes at Paiute
May 28th - Drive to Mesquite - eighteen holes at Wolf Creek

May 29th - Go Time! - 1st round of Mesquite Amateur

As for the equation in this posts title, we'll have to wait and see what the answer is. Next post will be late next week as I give a last pre-trip update and pack!  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment