Saturday, May 12, 2012

14 Days til Nevada

I'm heading to participate in the Mesquite Amateur golf tournament in Mesquite, NV (www.mesquiteamateur.com) in just two weeks.  The tourney runs May 28th - June 1st and will have over 570 participants playing in 3 rounds, with the leaders competing in a 4th championship round.  I first heard about this event through the Twitter posts of the one and only Golf Chick.  I started following her about 3 weeks before last years Mesquite Amateur and I so much enjoyed reading her blog and twitter posts about the event that I vowed to do everything I could to attend one day.   Well that day will soon be here as I leave on Sunday the 27th for Vegas.

Mesquite is about 1 hour NE of Las Vegas.  Its been about 6 years since I was last in Vegas so I'm going to take advantage and stay there overnight on my arrival day.  Of course golf will be involved as I'm heading directly to Paiute  (www.lvpaiutegolf.com) for a round as soon as I step off my plane.  

Early Monday morning will have me heading towards Mesquite for a round at Wolf Creek (www.golfwolfcreek.com).  After that warm up round I'll head in to registration for the Mesquite Am and the demo day that they are offering.  The tentative course rotation for my group will be Palms on Tuesday, Casablanca on Wednesday and Conestoga on Thursday.  If I finish in the top 10 of my flight I'll get to play in Friday's championship round; if not I'm thinking of playing The Chase at Coyote Springs on my way back to Vegas.

I'm going to use this blog to record my thoughts leading up to, during and after this wonderful golf experience that I'm about to undertake.  I am the competitive type so my hope is that I'll concentrate on having a good time enjoying some wonderful desert golf and not get so wrapped up in the competition.  If I can do that successfully I'll be a winner regardless of the standings.

Next up a bit about my prep and the current state of my game.

3 comments:

  1. Man this sounds exciting, I will keep up with your blog. If I can ever get my handicap under 22 I will go with you next year! Good luck buddy, and when you get back please give me a call and we will get together for a round (drinks & golf).......good luck and keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks JD! We should do one of these big am tourneys together sometime. Either Mesquite or the huge one in Myrtle Beach.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should I would like that.....it would be fun. I am playing in a tournment on Thursday at the "Farm", I have never played there so I am looking forward to it. I have another tournment, KSU College, at Bridge Mill next Monday so at least I am getting a lot of pratice rounds in.......who would have thought....a job where you have to play golf.....I will be taking my Wellstar client on another Golf trip this fall, September, if you and Randy are interested. It probably be another Robert Trent Jones course.

    ReplyDelete