Monday, May 28, 2012

Day 1 - Paiute: Snow Mountain course

Departure day is finally here! After a fitful night sleep I woke up at 6:00am and drove to the airport and boarded my 9:00am Southwest flight (golf clubs and my clothes bag checked for free!  Take that Delta!).  I scored a high A boarding pass and was able to grab an exit row window seat for the flight to Las Vegas.  Landed 10:30am local time, got my bags (clubs arrived on time and safe).  Got in the rental car and started heading out to Paiute which is about 25 minutes NW of the strip.

Lunch - By this time it was 11:45am and my stomach was thinking it was 2:45.  I saw a sign for In-N-Out Burger and figured I'd give them a try since I've met many people that love it.  I got the Double-Double and it lived up to the hype.  Great burger.

Paiute has three Pete Dye courses.  I played the Sun Mountain course last time I was in Vegas which was about 6 years ago.  The site is on the Paiute tribe reservation so there are no houses to distract from the views. The only complaint you may hear about these courses is that it can be very windy where they are, much more so than on the same day down in Vegas proper.  Fortunately I caught a very mild day with winds blowing from just 5-10mph.  Here are a few pics of Snow Mountain:





I shot ok, a 91.  The greens were faster than what I'm used to back home so I struggled with putting and chipping.  I had 4 three putts and a four putt.  I was happy with my game off the tee and approaches so there was at least a partial good feeling.

Ok, running out of time and I've got to get to sleep.  I should have more time tomorrow so I'll try to write posts for Day 2: Wolf Creek and Day 3: Mesquite Am opening round.

1 comment: