Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Goal progress: 4 months as a single digit!

Its been a while since I posted about my progress toward my goal of a single digit handicap.  I dropped below 10.0 on June 15th.  At the time I thought I would bounce up and down above and below the 10.0 line through the summer.  I surprised myself though and have played the best golf of my life.   I've stayed below 10.0 for 4 months now, and even got down to an 8.4.  The chart below shows my GHIN hdcp history for the last 6 months.

Well, where do I go from here?  My short term goal for the winter is of course to keep my index below 10.0.  That's going to be a easier said than done.  The cold weather and the wet course conditions that reduce roll out will be tough. I want to dedicate more work to my short game, putting and greenside bunker play.  These are my weakest areas and with improvement will contribute to achieving my short term goal.

I haven't even begun to think about long term goals.  The first one that comes to mind goes back to my childhood.  My dad was a very good golfer.  He took up the game late in life at age 38, which was about the time I was born.  He took to the game, fell in love and quickly improved.  He maintained a HDCP index between 4 and 7 throughout the years he taught me the game and until his early death at age 60, when I was just 21 years old.  It would be an honor for me to say that I played the game at his level, so I guess that's my next goal, get to "7".

3 comments:

  1. I have the same longterm goal,I too want to be a strong player like my Dad.It will take me quite a while.Good luck with the Winter golf.I suppose in some ways it's a blessing that we can't record from Mid Nov to March here in DC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dawn. Golf is a game that creates such connections with our fathers when they were the ones that taught us the game. I still think about tips he taught me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barry,

    Love the Blog...Lets get together soon and discuss getting better seriously. I am starting Monday with a lifestyle change. Diet, Exercise, No Booz (for a while). I can help you with that sand play you mention if you can give me some pointers on TEMPO.

    ReplyDelete