Saturday, July 14, 2012

Arizona Day 1 - Wigwam Heriatge & Father's Day

I'm finally getting around to posting some pictures from my family trip out to the Phoenix/Scottsdale area from back in mid June.  We went out for 7 days/6 nights and I played golf 5 times.

Our first stop was Wigwam for 2 nights and 2 rounds of golf.  Our first day of play was on Father's Day, and it was one of my best Father's Day yet.  Getting to play golf with my kids, age 17 & 16 was a real treat and we all played well too!  The course was Wigwam Heritage (Red).  A little about Wigwam; it was built by the Goodyear company as a corporate retreat in the 1930's.  Three golf courses were added in the early '60's all initially designed by Robert Trent Jones. The Heritage course was great for my kids.  Fairly wide fairways, and only 1 forced carry.  Almost every green allowed for a run up shot as well. If more courses were like this today it would be easier to bring new players into the game.  The course certainly reminded me of "Florida" golf moreso then the desert golf you think of for Arizona.  My son has just been playing for 2 years and my daughter 1 year so this was ideal.  I shot a very nice 80, while my son shot his 2nd best score at the time of 96 (he has since posted an 88).  My daughter shot her 2nd best score as well.

Well now for some pics:



Son, Daughter and me on the putting green.

This was the one force carry on the course and it was right off the tee box.  We all got over without any issues since it was not much distance to carry.

Florida or Phoenix?

A few holes were tight, but even an errant shot into the trees usually allowed several options to get back to the fairway.

Now some family action shots!  Thanks to our staff photographer - my wife!

No comments:

Post a Comment